Monday, January 28, 2008

The fruits of labor

Last week's silence on my part can be attributed to this beast of a wedding cake. Normally I'll keep the cake pics on the cake blog, but this one was such a massive undertaking, I thought it should be included in my life happenings blog.

The bride seemed happy with it, and Jason was an absolute prince. He stacked it for me, since his hands are much steadier than mine and since the cake weighed about 900 pounds. He also helped me cut and serve it, and, let me tell you, cutting a 300 piece cake is no small feat. I had left my kitchen an absolute disaster, and when I returned home at 9 that night, I expected to see the aftermath of the powdered sugar grenade. I actually was going to take a picture to demonstrate how crazy wedding cake decorating can be. However, to my great delight, I arrived home to discover a sparkling kitchen. My super brother-in-law who lives in our basement decided to scrub the counters and do all of the dishes. (He told me he actually had to use one of those taping/putty knife things to scrape up all of the cake batter) On that note, ladies, I'd like to let you know that Zach is single, Lutheran, and great with Lucie. He does live in our basement, but since he is a student and is about to get an apartment, I think you can overlook that small detail. Yay weddings! Yay thoughtful brother-in-laws who live in the basement!

8 comments:

becky said...

Wow! That cake is gorgeous. When you make a wedding cake, are you always there to cut and serve it? I didn't realize that was part of the job. Although, I'm usually toasted by the time the cake is served at a wedding... so I might have just missed it :)

What thoughtful men you have in your life, Alli! You and Lucie are very lucky :)

Dan said...

900 lbs. cake sliced into 300 pieces comes out to 3 lbs. per slice. I will be keeping this in mind the next time you hand me a piece of cake that weighs a measly 8 oz.

Mrs. Sara said...

One 3 lb. slice of cake = 118.5 Weight Watchers Points

Jason said...

Mmmmm.... brick cake.... Sara, I don't know if you actually tabulated that or just threw out some numbers for comedic value, but either way, you are awesome.
Thanks, Becky. I think I'll include the cutting in the price, but I'll leaving the serving and boxing to someone else. She was a friend, so I didn't mind, but I don't think I'll normally spend three hours at a stranger's wedding.

Alli said...

that was me

Mrs. Sara said...

Haha, I actually SIGNED IN to my Weight Watcher's account, pulled up the points tracker, found "homemade cake with icing," and put Quantity: 3 Pounds. And it was, indeed, 118.5 points.

I'm certain that on the other end of the WW website, there were alarms and red lights flashing as someone stared at what I just looked up and screamed over the intercom, "WE GOT A LIVE ONE!" I got THREE emails from Weight Watchers in the next twenty minutes.

"Don't do it! You have so much to live for!"

Liz said...

The cake looks awesome! You sure have hit the ground running!

Mrs. Sara said...

P.S. Isn't it brothers-in-law, Grammar Nazi?

FAIL!