Monday, May 04, 2009

Choler hates a counselor

As I get older, life gets more mundane, and blog topics get more and more uninteresting. Today's post is all about the terrible service we received at a local grocery store chain. Seriously, that's the best I can do...
Anyway, the anecdote begins as Jason is looking through the paper at my parents' house. He found the sale ad for Strack and Van Til's in Hobart, saw some super coupons, and decided that we needed to stop there on the way home. It was a Sunday evening, so the store was crowded, and as we hunted for the coupon items, we started to realize that most were sold out. We managed to find two of them, and I headed to the courtesy booth to pick up some rain checks, but it was closed. I saw a manager and went to go make sure that I could get them from the register cashiers. He was a bit frazzled-looking, but I figured if I was super nice, he wouldn't be too put out.
"Excuse me," I began, "I needed some rain checks, and I was wondering if I could get them at the...."
"I know, I know! We're out of everything," he said, throwing his hands in the air. I was taken aback, but I decided to continue my question.
"Right, I was just trying to get some..."
"Yeah, you can get them at the register." I thanked him, and found Jason in line, and told him about the harried manager.
"Must be a rough day," he said.
We moved forward in the line, and as the cashier was ringing up the customer in front of us, she noticed Jason's two items and snapped, "You have to spend ten dollars if you want to use the coupons."
"Yup, he replied, "I was going to get some propane, too."
"You have to do that at the courtesy booth, and that's closed," she quickly responded.
Jason paused for a second, "Um.. when is it open?"
"During the day."
He paused again. "So.... I can't get propane right now?"
"I can't get it for you," she said, obviously annoyed. I started to tell Jason that we should just leave the items and go, when the frazzled manager came over and told the clerk that he could get the propane for us. Suprisingly, the clerk didn't seem happy about it, and kept muttering, "I don't know how to get it."
I took the kids out to the car, and waited for Jason to complete the transaction. He was shaking his head as he returned. "Well, she was friendly!" I joked.
"Oh it got worse," he said. I asked him what happened.

Jason could sense the woman's frustration so he tried to smooth things over. Apparently his attempts at civility didn't work so well.
"I'm sorry for the inconvenience, "he said. "I really appreciate you helping me out."
She snorted, "Now you're just going to come in when the courtesy booth is closed and demand propane and say that we got it for you before."
"Uh, no? I know that you're not open now, so I'll be sure to come in when you are open. I assure you."
More scoffs. "You'll just tell other people they can come for propane whenever they feel like it."
Jason decided to just let that one go.
After a moment of silence he asked, "Well, what time does the booth close, by the way."
"Eight." Jason happened to glance at the store clock right as she said that. It was 7:59. He got the propane from the manager and skedaddled out to the car.

"Wow," I said. "Maybe she just received some bad news at home or something."
"I dunno," said Jason, "but you should've seen her face when I asked her to write me some rain checks." We pulled out of the parking lot and just narrowly missed getting hit by a car that blew through an intersection. I guess 49 cent eggs come with an additional charge of bitter. Too bad we didn't have the Indignant WASP with us...

1 comment:

Mrs. Sara said...

I do declare!