Thursday, August 28, 2008

Illness is the most heeded of doctors: to goodness and wisdom we only make promises; pain we obey

No one ever hold me that childhood illnesses are so terrifying. Poor Lucie has croup right now, and we are all miserable. She is fine during the day, but once night falls, she sounds like dying ET. ("Elliot.... *gasp, gasp* EL...EEE.....OTTT!") We were up with her at 4 AM Tuesday night and at 12, 3, and 5 last night. (Well, I took the 4 AM on Tuesday, and Jason took the 3 AM last night- the other two involved both of us) She wound up in bed with us Tues, but Jason was nice enough to sleep on the floor of her room last night so he could monitor her breathing. If you've never experienced croup, I have to tell you, it is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen/heard. Lucie was gasping, barking, wheezing, and crying, all the while begging for "Juice," "Baby," and "Beahw" (Bear). During her fits she would flip out if one of us left the room, so the only way to console her was to have one of us "bock" (rock) her in the glider and have the other sit on the floor within her view.
I certainly feel terrible that Lucie is suffering, and both Jason and myself are exhausted, but I have to admit that I do feel a certain joy when Lucie is sick. She's getting older and more independent every day, and these times when she is sick are little reminders that she still needs us. It's nice to have such a clear purpose in those moments, and it is so empowering to be able to comfort another person in such a tangible way. There are so many complicated problems in the world that I can only pray about; it is reassuring to know that there are some things I can fix with a gentle touch and my presence. And a humidifier.

6 comments:

Mrs. Sara said...

Someone at work told me you should run the shower hot and sit in the bathroom with her... the hot steam should help.

Alli said...

Yeah. It doesn't help all that much. And it just makes me sweaty and lightheaded. Croup usually happens in the fall and winter, so you can take your kid outside, and the cold air clears it right up. Unfortunately, balmy summer night air isn't enough to fix it. I'm hoping that last night was the peak. If it gets any worse, I think we'll have to take her to the hospital for a steroid shot.

Mrs. Sara said...

Aww. Poor Lucie pants! Maybe we should go to Alaska instead of Branson.

Mrs. Sara said...

Your blog baby is awfully smiley today. Also, go to my blog and read my story so you can make fun of my stupidity.

Anonymous said...

It really is almost impossible to discover a totally allergen totally free surroundings, but there is something you can do to reduce the results. Regardless if you are hypersensitive to interior dust and mildew or backyard pollen, you may use a few of the suggestions in the following paragraphs to aid deal with the bothersome consequences.Ways To Steer clear of Frequent Commercial Real-estate Problems [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]Somghjbuli[/url]

Anonymous said...

Try to have a part-time task through your school profession as tough as it can certainly be to harmony operate and studies, any additional funds, you make can create a big difference. In case you have a huge amount of money to repay once you are done, existence is going to be a lot more challenging following graduating so try and job your path by way of it. [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]Sca46ujdin[/url]