Thursday, April 17, 2008

I'm talking about musical [theatre], the two most glorious words in the English language!

Next Tuesday marks the merging of two bombastic and garish yet divinely fantastical worlds: American Idol and SHOWTUNES! *Squeal!!* In honor of Andrew Lloyd Webber night, I've decided to make a request list of songs for the contestants.

David Cook: "Heaven on Their Minds" from Jesus Christ Superstar. Really, I was hoping Chikeze would have made it this far because I think it would have been the perfect song for him, but as long as David sings it in an appropriate range, I think he'll do a'ight. I also hope that that the lights go all crazy when he gets to the "JEEEEEESSSSSUSSSSSS" breakdown part.

Jason Castro: "Oh What a Circus" from Evita. It fits his mellow, singer/songwriter vibe, and I think the ladies will like the Latin flair. Personally, I just want to get Antonio Banderas' voice out of my head every time I mentally play this song.

Brooke White: "I Don't Know How to Love Him" from Jesus Christ Superstar. Duh. I think it's the only Sir Webber song that her limited range could handle, but I do think she is well suited for it. The context of the song within the musical allows her to cry her way through it.

Carly Smithson: "Buenos Aires" from Evita. Hers is the only voice that could do Patti LuPone's signature number justice. And she needs to do something fun and uptempo to stay in the competition.

Syesha Mercado: "As If We Never Said Goodbye" from Sunset Boulevard. I'm ambivalent about this contestant, but I like the song. She won't do anything amazing with it, but it'll be pleasant.

David Archuletta: I hate this kid, and anything he does will turn into a bland, adult contemporary ballad. I just hope he doesn't do "Any Dream Will Do" from Joesph/Dreamcoat, or I may throw up a little in my mouth. I also hope he stays far far away from Jesus Christ Superstar.

Songs I hope nobody does: "All I Ask of You," "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" from Phantom, "Memory" from Cats, and anything from Joseph.

Acceptable songs: "McCavity" from Cats, "Next Time You Fall in Love" from Starlight Express, "Take That Look Off Your Face", "Unexpected Song" from Tell me on a Sunday, and anything from Evita and JCS.

A special tribute: Oh, Michael Johns. You were voted off too soon. Everyone please take a moment to envision him singing the glory that is "Gethsemane" from JCS. Close your eyes. Shhh... Just listen....
"I only want to say/ If there is a way/ Take this cup AWWWAAAAAYYYY from me......."

3 comments:

Mrs. Sara said...

Interesting picks. If you were on American Idol, which song would YOU choose?

Mrs. Sara said...

P.S. Say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime... let me lead you from your solitude. Say you need me with you, here beside you... anywhere you go let me go too!

LOVE ME, that's all I ask of YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!

*bows*

Brian Glidewell said...

My sister is a gay man.