Friday, November 07, 2008

Neither before nor after Josiah was there a king like him who turned to the LORD as he did

New baby! My pregnancy counter thing was eerily accurate. So here's the story: I went to my midwife on Tuesday, apologized for being an internet crazy, and then asked if the itching could possibly be caused by ICP. I told her a few of my other symptoms, and she ordered a blood test just to be sure. I got the test done that day, then called the office Wedndesday to look into results. Turns out I do have it, and she recommended that I be induced on Thursday morning. I was a bit disapointed because waterbirth isn't possible with medical inductions, so I asked if I could try castor oil. The midwife said OK and told me that if I went into labor on my own, we could still do the waterbirth. After two doses of castor oil cocktail, things started moving pretty quickly. I started having regular, productive contractions around 9:30 PM, but they were easily managed with swaying and walking. However, at 10:30 I had a super contraction that sent me to the couch, and I pretty much stayed there until we left for the hospital. I called the midwives, and they told me to come in, but they seemed to think it would be awhile before the baby was born. Lucie was already in bed, so I called my mom to come and stay with her, and I tried to get our last minute hospital things together. The contractions were pretty terrible; they were coming one right on top of the other, and my Bradley method deep breathing didn't really do anything to help with the pain. Everytime I tried to get up I would have another contraction and wind up laying on the bed or the couch moaning and clenching my fists. Mom arrived pretty quickly, and after taking 20 minutes to put on my socks and shoes, I finally managed to head out to the car. One contraction sent me to my knees leaning against the minivan, and I remember telling my mom that I was going to lose it if I got the hospital and found out I was 4 centimeters (or less!). Mom assured me that I was farther along and managed to get me in the car.    Jason drove us and mentioned that he was glad we would arrive at the hospital just after midnight since that's when billing begins for each day.  I told him I was glad I could be so helpful and thrifty.  He then began calling family to tell them we were on our way.  While he was talking to his brother, my water broke. I informed Jason, and he immediately began trying to assess the potental damage to his leather upholstery. "So how bad did it break? Are you leaking all over the place? Do we have something to clean it up?" I told him that we had a robe in the bag, but that I was going to cut him if he tried to stop the car to clean it up. To his credit, that wasn't the plan. He was willing to wait until he got me into the hospital. So we pulled up to the emergency room entrance, and I waddled in with my soaked PJs. The triage nurse looked at me and said, "Ready to go, huh?" I nodded, and they called for a labor nurse while Jason went to park the car and clean up the amniotic fluid before it destroyed his seats. (He was very quick; he was back inside before the nurse came with the wheelchair.)  In the meantime, I was trying to figure out water-breakage ettiquette.  I really wanted to sit down, but I didn't want to mess up the ER chairs, so I just kind of stood and tried not to drip too much on the floor.  Jason and the wheelchair nurse arrived, and they rushed me up to labor and delivery.  The nurse checked me and informed me that I was 8 cm, and she rushed to call the midwife.  I asked if I could get in the tub, and she started filling it up, but told me that since there was some meconium staining in the amniotic fluid that I probably couldn't have a waterbirth.  She started hurredly doing all of the check in procedures: fetal monitoring, heparin lock for IV fluids, and various health questions.  Unfortunately, I was in so much pain that I just kind of moaned my answers and let Jason answer as many questions as he could.  The midwife arrived while the nurse was still trying to check me in, and realized that I was complete and that it was time to push.  It took me a little while to figure out how to coordinate the contractions and productive pushing, and I had to try a couple of positions.  I was getting a bit frustrated and half jokingly asked for a C-section, but then the midwive suggested a position that worked really well, and the baby was out a few pushes later.  He was pink and crying, and I got to hold him and nurse him immediately.  He was born on Nov 6th at 1:14 AM.  He was 8 lbs, 7 oz and 20 inches long.
   Later, when the nurse was helping me to the bathroom, she saw me looking longingly at the still-filled, unused tub and asked if I wanted to get in.  Of course, I jumped in right away and turned on the jets.  Best. Bath. Ever.  So even though I didn't get a waterbirth, I still got to use the most amazing tub ever invented.
    We decided that the baby had a wise and concerned expression on his face, so we thought Josiah was an appropriate name for him.  His middle name comes from a professor of Jason's who was very influential in his faith formation.  We are now home, and Josiah is fitting right in.  Lucie is in LOVE with him and is super sweet and helpful when she isn't poking his head in extreme excitement.  Our family and friends have been wonderful, and we are reminded how blessed we are to be a part of such a great community of believers.  All of our children will be surrounded by fabulous examples of Christian hospitality and generousity.  So there's the story, and here's the best part:  PICTURES!!! 


Mama, Lucie, and Josiah Gilbert

Grandma and baby

Uncle Dan and baby

Stay tuned for more pics!



     

1 comment:

Mrs. Sara said...

He looks a little like Uncle Dan in that picture. Too bad you didn't get a pic of Dan grinning like an idiot. He loves babies!